Kabul blast: Protester killed near bomb site

Kabul blast: Protester killed near bomb site

http://ift.tt/2tItAx8

Afghan protesters shout anti-government slogans during a protest against the government following a catastrophic truck bomb attack near Zanbaq Square in Kabul on June 2, 2017.

Image copyright
AFP

Image caption

Many Afghans accuse the government of failing to tackle the militants

Police in the Afghan capital, Kabul, have opened fire on anti-government protesters, killing at least one person, officials say.

The authorities moved in early on Tuesday to break up a makeshift protest camp in the city centre. Several others were injured.

Protests began almost three weeks ago, after a massive vehicle bomb in the city centre left more than 150 dead.

Demonstrators accuse the government of failing to provide security.

Pledging an investigation into the overnight violence, Afghan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah said one person been killed and six wounded.

“These kinds of incidents damage the trust between the government and the people,” he said.

Demonstrators put the number of dead at two.

Afghan intelligence officials have blamed the 31 May bomb attack on the Haqqani network, a Taliban affiliate with alleged support from Pakistan.

The Taliban and the Haqqani group denied any involvement. Islamabad strongly rejected the claim.

Image copyright
EPA

Image caption

The city centre blast was the deadliest militant attack in Afghanistan since 2001

The bombing sparked anti-government protests just days later in which four people were killed, as police used tear gas and fired bullets into the air to keep crowds at bay.

Three suicide bombers then attacked the funeral at the weekend of one of those killed in the protests, killing at least seven people.

Many Afghans accuse the government of failing to tackle the militants adequately.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionBuilders work to repair Kabul’s bomb-struck Green Zone

More than a third of the country is now said to be outside government control.

Earlier this year, a top US commander warned of a “stalemate” in the fight against the Taliban unless more foreign troops were committed.

US President Donald Trump is believed to be assessing his options.

NEWS

via BBC News – World http://ift.tt/k2OXzt

June 20, 2017 at 05:45AM

Advertisements

What do you think about this?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s